In line with government advice our staff will be continuing with home working and will be returning to the office gradually over the summer months wherever possible. Council meetings will be held in person from Monday 19th July.
We can be contacted by email or telephone 01684 294639 during office hours, Monday to Thursday 9.30am – 3.00pm or you can leave a message and we will get back to you during working hours.
Tewkesbury Town Council is a parish level local authority serving a population of approximately 10,000 people in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire.
It is composed of 16 councillors elected or co-opted to 4 year terms within the wards of Newtown (3 Councillors), Tewkesbury North (5 Councillors) and Tewkesbury South (8 Councillors).
Local authorities were first created by statute in 1894 and our most significant responsibility is to represent the community and serve all elements within it as we try to get the best results for everyone. As a parish council Tewkesbury Town Council is the first tier of local government and the one closest to the people.
We also have a responsibility to engage in partnership working with Tewkesbury Borough Council and Gloucestershire County Council.
Each year the Town Council receives a share of the council tax collected by Tewkesbury Borough Council, referred to as a ‘precept’. This money is then used to improve facilities within the town. The money is split across nine ‘cost centres’ which are managed by different Town Council committees.
Details of these committee decisions and the councillors who make them can be found in the agendas and minutes for each meeting. Further details of our assets, financial position, and policies are also available on this site.
- Town Hall
- George Watson Memorial Hall
- Tewkesbury Museum
- Public Toilets at Gloucester Road and Oldbury Road (Spring Gardens)
- Saffron Road Rehearsal Room (leased to Tewkesbury Town Band)
- Playparks – Derek Graham, Warwick Place and Mitton (not the MUGA)
- War Memorial at The Cross
- Moorings at Back of Avon, Priors Court & St Mary’s Road
- The Severn Ham (not responsible for livestock grazing)
- Public Clocks
- Town Centre CCTV
- Bus Shelters
- Dog Bins
- Litter Bins
- Grants to local community groups
- Consultee on planning applications
Responsibilities of Other Councils:
- Waste Collection including bulky items
- Street Cleansing
- Emptying litter and dog bins
- Council Tax collection
- Community Transport
- Tewkesbury Leisure Centre
- Town Centre Car Parks
- Fire & Public Safety
- Social Care
- Waste Management
- Trading Standards
- Public Rights of Way
- Road maintenance
- Street Lighting